Choose the most logical order of sentences from among the four given choices to construct a coherent paragraph.
1. (A) In the former colonies, they have shaken the accumulated inertia and emerged as a confident, prosperous community driving the economies and assuming positions of power.
(B) In the Gulf, the hordes of blue-collared workers that flew in after the boom in the ‘70s have today moved up the ladder and are now a dominant presence in trade and corporate affairs.
(C) Despite the hurdles in their own countries and India’s studied indifference, the past decade has seen them come into their own.
(D) Move forward they have.
(1) ABCD (2) BADC (3) DCBA (4) DCAB
2. (A) But when anything or anybody Indian gets global endorsement–like Amartya Sen, M.Night Shyamalan or Vinod Khosla–the level of pride reaches another dimension; here are stories of Indians who have surmounted the pangs of dislocation and dilemmas of nationhood to become the people the world looks up to–and inspire us in a manner few locals can.
(B) Democracy, Kakori Kebab, Bollywood ?
(C) What makes Indian proud ?
(1) DCBA (2) CBDA (3) CABD (4) CADB
3. (A) L.N.Mittal’s acquisition of US Steel or his presence in economies as diverse as Indonesia, Romania, Algeria, Germany and Trinidad is a vindication of the enduring quality of Indian enterprise.
(B) Spread across five continents they have consistently proved that Indians can compete with anyone, anywhere to create wealth.
(C) So is adaptability as symbolised by the Hindujas who conduct business in Teheran, London and Singapore with equal ease.
(D) They are living testimony to the India that could have been.
(1) DBAC (2) DCBA (3) ABDC (4) ACBD
4. (A) While they have moved out of pop-and -mom corner stores to occupy the highest seats of decision-making–even heading governments–an increasing number has begun to leave its mark on the frontiers of knowledge.
(B) Simultaneously there has been a flowering of talent in the world of business, the application of technology and in the creation of respected global brands.
(C) Some of them have earned their places in the hall of fame of social sciences, notably economies, or pure sciences.
(D) It may have taken some time, but the Indian diaspora has gradually begun to assert itself in every aspect of social interaction.
(1) DCBA (2) ADCB (3) ABCD (4) DACB
5. (A) Standing by the sea, Biswajit Mohanty finds himself adrift on a sea of despair.
(B) Every wave that crashes against the golden beaches brings lifeless sea turtles ashore in ones and twos.
(C) But their best efforts have yielded little results.
(D) It has been years since he and other turtles conservationists have been trying to impress upon the Orissa Government the need to stop the wanton killing of the endangered Olive Ridleys that make their ritual trek to the state’s nesting shores, digs and pits and lay over a million eggs every winter.
(1) DCBA (2) ADCB (3) ABCD (4) BADC
1.(4) 2.(2) 3.(1) 4.(4) 5.(2)