Select the lettered answer that contains the best version of the underlined section.
1. The doctor believed that exercise and a hot bath were equally as effective as, and less addictive than, a sedative for
(1) equally as effective as, and less addictive than
(2) equally as affective as, and less addictive than
(3) as effective as, and less addictive than
(4) equally as effective, and less addictive than
(5) equally as effective as, while being less addictive than
2. About three hundred people gathered, they were there protesting the construction of a nuclear power plant.
(1) gathered, they were there protesting
(2) gathered-they were there protesting
(3) gathered, they were there protesting against
(4) gathered to protest
(5) gathered for the purpose of protesting
3. "When my husband will come home, I'll tell him you called," the housewife sighed into phone.
(1) will come home, (2) will come home (3) will have come home
(4) comes home, (5) has come home,
4. How much has fuel costs raised during the past year ?
(1) has fuel costs raised (2) have fuel costs raised (3) has fuel costs risen
(4) have fuel costs risen (5) has fuel costs rose
5. Many critics consider James Joyce’s ‘Ullysses’, a novel once banned as obscene, to be the greatest novel of the twentieth century.
(1) ‘Ullysses,’ a novel once banned obscene, to be
(2) ‘Ullyses,’ a novel once banned as obscene
(3) ‘Ullysses,’ which is a novel that was once banned as obscene, to be
(4) ‘Ullysses’, a once banned as obscene to be
(5) ‘Ullysses’, a novel once banned as obscene, being
1.(3) 2.(4) 3.(4) 4.(4) 5.(1)